Wednesday, March 25, 2015

24 Week Pregnancy Blog

Written on Monday September 22, 2014

How far along? 24 weeks 5 days

Baby: Peanut has gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts the baby at about 1 1/3 pounds and almost a foot long (about the size of an ear of corn!). Peanut cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but the body is filling out proportionally and will soon start to plump up. The brain is also growing quickly now, and taste buds are continuing to develop. The lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help his air sacs inflate once he/she hits the outside world. The skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.

Total Weight Gain: I'm still teetering between a 10 -11 lb. weight gain (125-126). I can tell Peanut is growing, so that makes me happy! I am also happy that I am still gaining weight steadily, but was a little freaked out I had maintained the same weight for the past few weeks. I'm now a little behind the recommended weight gain for 24 weeks (only by a few pounds). I did find out that my thyroid levels are now officially normal (huge praise!), so I guess my body's weight is now evening out to what it would be with a normal functioning thyroid.

Maternity Clothes: I'm going back and forth between bigger regular clothes and maternity clothes. My belly had grown a little more, so the maternity clothes are now looking cute! Still wearing the baby band for most pants.

Stretch Marks: Still trying to be disciplined with the stretch mark cream and doing fairly well at it. My skin was slightly itchy this week which I assume means I need more moisture!  No stretch marks as of yet, so I am hoping what I am doing is working (at least for now!).
Sleep: I was super sleepy this week which is similar to weeks past. I'm just lacking energy all the time. I am dragging every day it seems. I took 2 naps over the weekend which was nice. But then I can't sleep at night! It's hard because the more tired I am, the more caffeine I want. But I can only have a small amount of caffeine each day :( I am waking up a little more often during the night, but am still sleeping comfortably.

Miss Anything? Still missing regular coffee! (And wanting it more and more). Missing having energy!! But besides those small things, I love being pregnant! I've had such a smooth pregnancy so far, that it's hard to have any complaints.

Best Moment of the Week: Registering for Peanut!

Movement: Still feeling a good bit of movement. Sometimes the movements aren't as strong and I only really notice them if I am paying attention. Sometimes they are big! The baby moves the most when I am relaxed and laying down. Maybe this has to do with having anterior placenta?

Food Cravings: Still liking sweets, but really nothing in particular. I made pumpkin bread this week to celebrate fall and really loved it (but that's really nothing new)!

Anything making you queasy or sick? Last week in the mid-afternoon each day I wouldn't feel too great. Nothing awful, but just didn't feel 100%. I usually would eat a snack and would feel better, so I think this was my body's way of telling me to give Peanut some extra food! The funny thing was I was never hungry, I just went straight to the not feeling great stage.

Gender: Surprise!

Symptoms: Feeling lots of pressure and random pains if I move too quickly, thrush in my mouth, acne has improved a lot!, constipation is still an issue (experienced blood in my stool this week), still experiencing achy hips after exercise or sitting still for a long time but it's very off and on and general lack of energy. The biggest symptom this week that was new was Braxton Hicks contractions! So crazy they can happen this early. My uterus just tightens and hardens like a rock and you can distinctly see where the baby is. It's very weird!

Happy or moody: All over the place!

Looking forward to: Finishing up registering and working on the nursery...there is still a lot to be done! Less than 16 weeks to go! We can't wait to meet our baby! :)






No comments:

Post a Comment