Monday, February 9, 2015

Grayson's 1 Month Update!

I cannot believe that my precious baby boy, Grayson, is 1 month old -- the time has seriously flown. (Technically he is 5 weeks and 3 days old today!) The first month of his life has been one that I will never forget...after I recover from the exhausted zombie state that I am currently in. ;) But in all seriousness, each day flies by and he has already grown and changed so much. It's crazy how quickly babies discover, explore, and learn new things about themselves and their surroundings. So far, I am loving being a mommy! Yes, its challenging, but also very rewarding. I've had so many people ask me how it's going and I would say it's going very well! We are adjusting and learning more about each other (Grayson and I, that is) each day. It's harder than I thought in some ways and easier than I thought in others, but at the end of the day being his mama is such a fulfilling job and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm sad that Grayson's first month is already over, but I am also looking forward to all his milestones to come! Here's a little bit about how our first month with Grayson Otto in our lives went:
Weight & Height: At his 2 week appointment, he was 7 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 21 inches long putting him in the 21st percentile for weight and the 55th percentile for height. We recently weighted him and he is currently 10 pounds! I knew he had grown, but I was so excited to see him reach the 10 lb. mark after being born at 7 lbs. 1 oz. I am exclusively breastfeeding, so I felt like this was an accomplishment after the challenges that breastfeeding has held. I will say that he is a great eater, so that definitely helps! If anything, it shocks me how often and how much he eats, but apparently he is a growing little boy! :) On average, he still eats every 2 - 3 hours, but will sometimes eat every hour for a few hours. Like I said, the boy likes his milk!


Sleep: Sleep has definitely been rough. I will say that this has been the hardest part for me as a new mom. I am getting sleep, but only for very short periods of time (sometimes only 1.5 hrs at a time) and after a while, it wears you down. Overall, Grayson is actually a wonderful sleeper! He loves to sleep in the car, in his car seat, and when we are out running errands. Grayson loves loud noises and actually sleeps best in a louder environment. The trouble we have had has been getting him to know the difference between days and nights (he would sleep all day if I let him) and getting him to go for longer than 2 hours between feedings at night. We are still working on it, but we are starting to see progress, so that's encouraging! Grayson LOVES to be held and would prefer to be held while sleeping or to sleep in our bed next to us, but he is doing better about sleeping in his Rock and Play next to our bed. He actually loves his crib, so hopefully the transition into his crib won't be too bad. He is also a very loud sleeper, making noises and grunting most of the night! Right now, he sleeps an average of 3 hours at a time at night. 

Clothes: This week he started wearing some of his 0-3 month clothes (still fitting in a lot of his newborn clothes) and size 1 diapers. I couldn't believe it! I was definitely sad to see him transition out of the newborn diapers and clothes. It's awesome, yet hard to see your baby grow!



Mood: Josh and I joke calling Grayson "Oscar the Grouch". He is definitely expressive of how he feels and isn't shy about telling you when he is unhappy. Haha. Sometimes his resting face looks a little grumpy, but mostly because he hasn't learned to smile yet. At the same time, he is super sweet, loves to cuddle, and stares at you perfectly content with his big blue eyes that melt your heart. Recently, he starting cooing and making sweet little baby noises while he plays happily on his play mat. 



Loves: being held, cuddling, his play mat, his pacifier, movement and being bounced, car rides and his car seat, music, taking naps with his daddy, and the fan (he stares intently at it for long periods of time!)


Grayson's first bath!




Grayson's most recent bath -- definitely made progress! 


Doesn’t like: diaper and outfit changes, being burped,  and bath time (he wasn't a fan of bath time at first but now he is liking it more and more!)






No comments:

Post a Comment