Monday, September 8, 2014

Saving Money on Food

Hello Readers,

Hopefully you are still with me! I haven't posted anything in a while as my life has been quite hectic. Between work, church, my husband starting his fall semester, and baby planning on the forefront of my mind, writing has taken a back seat. I did, however, want to get out a small blog post about something else that has been a priority of mine lately and that's saving money. Saving money on food that is. 

My husband and I are in our mid-twenties. We both work and work hard, but at this age I feel like most of us are still in that money saving, majorly budgeting stage of life. This only gets more complicated when you are expecting a baby exactly 4 months from today (crazy!). I'm constantly trying to figure out the best way to budget our money and where we can save. Like most people, one of our biggest expenses is food, definitely not very exciting, but it is where a huge chunk of our money goes. Lately, I have found a few successful ways to save money on food. I thought I would share them today in hopes that maybe some of you are in the same "Where-Can-We-Save-Money?" battle. Here are a few tips I've learned so far!

1.  Don't go grocery shopping in-between weekly trips. I don't know what you do, but I tend to go to the grocery store once a week. I'm pretty good at sticking to this, but there are usually things I forget or things that pop up during the week that I need but don't have. Lately, instead of going to the store mid-week to get those few random things that I could probably live without, I have been waiting until my weekly shop to go back to the grocery store. Only going during my specified times really helps cutting down on food cost because I'm not spending money there multiple times a week. I only go once a week. Obviously if there is something you really need, go get it. I just know I could go every day if I really wanted (we always need something), but I would end up spending much more money that way.

2. Use up what you already have. This goes off my first point. Instead of constantly buying new things once you run out, use up what you have first. This is something I've been doing more recently and it's shocking how long we can last on the food we already have without having to buy more. Lately, I've been trying to make my weekly shop very minimal and instead use up the food I already have on hand or use what I already have as the base of a recipe rather than buying all new things for a new recipe. If I run out of a particular ingredient, I see what I have on hand that would make a good substitute instead of running to the store to buy something new. This is a great way to save money and you will be surprised how much food you have built up in your pantry and freezer.

3. Only get what you NEED instead of buying ahead of time. This one all depends on sales and how much you like to plan ahead. Personally, I struggle with this one because I am a planner. If I see we are low on something, I like to go ahead and buy the replacement item immediately, so we don't run out. The problem is I find myself buying things a little too far in advance when I could wait another week to replace that item, therefore spending money before I have to. If you see something on sale or you know you will run out of it before your next shopping trip, buy it. I have just found that I can last longer without replacing items than I thought I could. I also limit what I buy to what we actually need instead of what would be nice to have. We could have 3 different kinds of chips, 4 different cereal boxes, 2 kinds of lunch meat, 3 different types of desserts and 5 pounds of ground beef, but we don't need that. I want to have choices, but only having limited choices is okay too.

4. When going out to eat -- share a plate or take a box of leftovers home with you. Josh and I rarely go out to eat, like almost never. But on the rare occasion that we do eat out, I have found a few ways to save money. Eating out can kill your wallet, I would know. Before Josh and I were married, we ate out all the time and it was such a waste of our hard earned cash. When we go out to eat now, I like to do one of two things: either share a plate of food or take half my food home and eat it as another meal. Obviously these two choices aren't always possible, but it's nice to do it when you can. We all know most restaurants give you a huge amount of food, so it's easy to share a plate with your partner or a friend. Sharing a plate means getting two meals for the price of one -- score! Another way to get two meals for the price of one is only eating half the meal and taking the rest home with you. I do this all the time. Josh and I don't really have the same food interests -- he loves pizza and I love salad, so we prefer to order separately. I am usually given much more food than I could ever finish in one sitting though. I used to let them throw away all the extra food at the end of the meal, but I have started always getting a to-go box if I have any extras. I can usually make a whole second meal out of it, therefore saving money and eating good food twice!

These are my "Saving Money on Food" tips and tricks. Sticking to these rules has allowed us to save and been very helpful for our family. These tips may seem like no-brainers to a lot of you money saving pros, but to me they are new found lessons that I felt were important enough to share. Let me know how you save money when it comes to food. I would love to hear your tips and tricks!

2 comments:

  1. I love this! It reminds me a lot of the stuff I usually have to blog about for work (working at a credit union means most of our blog posts are all about saving money!). You guys are so precious, and I love these tips and your pregnancy posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maegan, thank you! :) It's good to know I have at least one faithful reader! Haha. I loved your most recent blog about Europe -- what an amazing trip! Looked so fun :)

    ReplyDelete