Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Mission Trips Part 3 -- San Diego, CA

Good morning! I wanted to continue on my journey of sharing my mission trip experiences with you guys. The second mission trip I went on was to San Diego, CA and it was one of my favorites! This trip was over Spring Break of my junior year of college (Spring 2010). A group from my BCM campus ministry decided to do a Spring Break mission trip and I was excited to go with a group of people I was already familiar with. It was really cool to be doing something that would make a difference over my Spring Break instead of just taking a beach vacation. I had only been to California once when I was a baby because I have family that lives there, but I hadn't returned since. There was always something that allured me to California and made me want to visit again. I knew to expect beautiful weather and beaches, but soon enough I would get to know the beautiful people who resided there as well.
 

We got up really early and headed to the airport. The flight wasn't too bad and because of the 4 hour time difference we arrived at about the same time we had left Atlanta. We were excited to be there and to see what God had in store for our trip! (Side note: This was also the first mission trip I had ever raised money for and it was just amazing to see God work while I was trying to raise enough funds to make my trip possible. I'm sure you figured out by now that God did in fact provide for my trip and I actually ended up with more donations than I even needed!)
 

 
The first thing we did after getting settled was go out and do some team building activities. I was a little thrown off by this because I was expecting to go out and do ministry, but looking back it was a great decision. It allowed our group to bond right away and practice working together as a team which would be crucial over the next week. We also took some time to find a place of solitude and spend time alone with God before we starting ministering. I found this to be very helpful because it allowed me to focus and be reminded of what my purpose there really was. It was easy to get caught up in all that is California, but I was there for a specific reason: to share the Gospel.
 
 
We were able to stay at a Christian mission organization, but at the moment I cannot remember the name of it. They were an amazing group of people who had come together to minister to the people of San Diego and to show them an unforgettable type of love. See, California is very different than Georgia. California is much more liberal and much less like the padded "Bible Belt" our group was used to. There is not a church on every corner and not everyone had heard about Jesus since birth. This Christian organization was only one of a few in the area and they tried their best to make up for it. 

 
Because of how our trip fell, the next day ended up being our free day during the trip. We were excited to explore the city and see the different sites. We ended up at La Jolla beach and it was beautiful! I absolutely love the ocean, so in a sense this whole trip was like a dream because we were constantly surrounded by the breath-taking waters and gorgeous sunsets.


 
The next morning, we got to work! We were quickly informed upon our arrival that San Diego is home one of the biggest homeless populations in the world. Because of the warm weather, many homeless people can live in San Diego year round and remain safe from the freezing or boiling temps. There were many different organizations that worked with the homeless and we were fortunate enough to team up with one of them. The San Diego Rescue Mission was where we spent a few of our days in San Diego helping with various tasks and having our eyes opened to the reality of homelessness. We toured the property which contained many rooms, bathrooms, and eating areas for women and children to stay in, wash up, and get fed before heading back out to the streets during the days. Each night, hundreds of people would line the streets to try to get a night's stay in this place. It was crazy for me to even think about. We helped serve the homeless lunch while we were there (another service that they provided) and we even went to a food pantry and talked with many of the homeless people while they were waiting for their meal. One of my most vivid memories of the trip was gathering up food and walking the streets handing it out the all the different homeless people we saw. It was scary but very eye-opening. We had some great, Godly conversations and surprisingly those people had a lot more joy than even I had. They didn't rely on "things" to keep them happy. God had given them joy and peace through their unfortunate circumstances. They had used this time to grow closer to the Lord and had many wise things to say. It was a pretty great night and I learned more than I ever expected from the homeless.
 
 
We helped out with some churches while we were there. One day we helped a group who was currently planting a church. A few people and their families were starting from scratch and had slowly gained a following. Our group helped pass out fliers to the local neighborhoods informing them of this new church arrival and seeing if they were interested in being a part of it. We also visited a few different colleges and aided with their campus ministries. It was fun to interact with college students from across the country.
 
 
We did all of our traveling in this van...it quickly became our home! We had a blast together over that week and learned so much. Our group experienced so many different parts of San Diego and our eyes were really opened there. The people that we got to interact with for the week were just wonderful and you could tell the heart and plans they had for this city.



I loved California just as much if not more than I thought I would! I had such a great experience on this particular trip! "Greater things have yet to come; greater things are still to be done in this city." I truly believe that about San Diego. Although the Christian popular there is small, the ones that are there now have such a passion for the people of San Diego. I had peace while leaving knowing that this city was in good hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment