Monday, December 23, 2013

A Little R&R

Last week was one of the busiest weeks of my life. I had something going on every night and was barely sleeping trying to fit it all in. Needless to say by Friday night, I actually had to take a nap at 7pm because I just couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. Tired and irritable probably described me pretty well by the end of the week. I had taken no time to rest throughout the week and it showed.

Saturday, we had our Gale Family Christmas and it was lots of fun! A day filled with family, kids, food, presents and giving. My favorite part of the day was when we went around to different people in the community who were going through a rough time or who didn't have much family to spend time with during the holidays and we gave them a tin of goodies, an ornament, and a Christmas card. We also sang Christmas carols to them upon request. It was a great reminder that the Christmas season is not only about getting but more importantly about giving. It was a good way to refocus after a chaotic week. We enjoyed our visit to Irwinton although it was very short. We were only there 12 hours and didn't get home till 2am because we wanted to stay down there as long as possible.

I was completely wiped Sunday morning after my hectic week and long Saturday. So on Sunday, I did something that I rarely do. I took a break. I am always doing something and going somewhere. I never slow down, stop, and rest. It was so great doing almost nothing yesterday. I slept in, did a devotional with Josh, rested on the couch and watched movies, took a nap, went through some boxes, finished Christmas presents and folded laundry. All things that were very low key and that needed to be done, but I was never home long enough to do them. It was amazing what a little rest and relaxation did for me. I felt renewed and refreshed while getting up this morning, ready for a new week!

My day of rest was such a good reminder of what I need to be doing more often. I make a conscious effort to get everything else done in my life, but I never make an effort to take the time to relax. I am slowly realizing that it doesn't mean I am lazy or being unproductive with my time. Rest is good for the body and good for the soul. If I want to get everything done on my To Do List, it is necessary for me to slow down. It's so easy to get caught up in the hustle bustle of the holiday season, and when that happens, it is especially important to get away. Josh and I spent some time yesterday reading the Christmas story with no phones, computers or TV on. All we had were the glowing lights of our tree and the beautiful words of Jesus' birth to focus on. In that moment, I understood why it was so important for Jesus himself to get away sometimes. The silence, the stillness and the time to focus on what really matters is so much more fulfilling than staying busy ever could be.

Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.” – Matthew 11:28

No comments:

Post a Comment