Friday, February 14, 2014

Best Valentine's Day Ever

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone! Hope you all have a beautiful day filled with all types of love. I've actually never been very big on Valentine's Day. I like to do something special, but never over the top. I would rather give and receive love on random days of the year rather than on a day where people feel pressured to show love to one another. Over the years, Valentine's Day has altered its meaning to me. It has morphed from one thing to the next based on where I was in life. I can say that my view of the holiday this year has topped any typical "flowers, candy, and perfect dinner date" day I may have thought of in the past.

As a child, I loved celebrating Valentine's Day at school with my friends by exchanging cute paper Valentine's cards and receiving a little gift from my parents each year. But let's be honest, it was all about the CANDY as a child. In middle school and high school, it was all about showing off what your significant other got for you. Students would walk around the halls with flowers, massive teddy bears, candy and anything to show that they were taken and "loved". It was a great day for those who had someone and a dreaded day by those who didn't. When I was in college, a group of us "single" girls would get dressed up and go to dinner and a movie to celebrate Valentine's Day together. We felt united by doing this and not so alone. I really enjoyed those girl's nights on the day where it would be easy to feel excluded. When my husband and I were dating, it was a day filled with some pressure. It felt like we "needed" to do something special and over the top. It felt like there had to be a gift involved to make the day meaningful. And if you didn't get those things, there was a sense of disappointment.

I have had some good and some bad Valentine's Days over the years, but one thing is for certain, this year is by far the best. I finally see that there is no pressure involved. No need to prove anything. And there never was, I just always felt like I needed to. Valentine's Day is the day of "love" and the meaning of today is just that. I now get excited about Valentine's Day, not especially because of my relationship, but because it is an opportunity for me to show love to everyone in my life. It's not about the flowers, candy, over the top gifts, or relationship status...it's about love. I hope that you take the time to show love to the people in your life on a daily basis, but instead of feeling pressured or sad about today, use it as a day to show love to others. It's a day to be thankful for everyone in your life that you have to love and for those that love you. It makes me sad when girls get down on themselves for not having a "Valentine". Who cares? You have so many people in your life who love you and who you get to love. And that love alone is enough to make this a happy, joyful day.

Happy Valentine's Day to all my family and friends. Don't forget, YOU ARE LOVED. Now go return that love to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment