Monday, August 31, 2015

Breastfeeding: The Celebration & Struggle

While pumping at work today, I was thinking about the fact that Grayson turns 8 months old this week. While that in itself is crazy, this week also marks 8 months of exclusively breastfeeding Grayson. No supplements, no formula...just my body working hard to keep my baby alive and healthy for 8 months. While this post isn't meant to shame anyone who hasn't don't the same, I have to say I am really proud of myself. I can't believe we have made it this far! 

Being a working mama, I just didn't know if it would be possible for me to continue breastfeeding this long, but Grayson and I have made it work! Breastfeeding is one of the hardest things I've ever physically done....being responsible for every night feeding, pumping at 3am, stressing that there might not be enough milk while I'm gone, giving up my lunch breaks to pump, continuing to feed my baby while I'm sick (really sick) and can barely get out of bed, feeding in public, feeding in the most random places, the toll it takes on our poor boobs, leaving the group and feeling left out so that I can breastfeed Grayson to sleep, not being able to see exactly how much he's getting and being fearful that I'm starving him, dealing with teeth & biting...breastfeeding has been A LOT of work, but it's been such a special experience. There were so many times it would have been easy to give up (the first few, extremely painful weeks, for starters), but I didn't. I stuck to my goal despite the sometimes pure inconvenience and challenges.

Providing for your child by giving yourself physically is such a difficult, but rewarding and beautiful thing. I'm so thankful Grayson and I have been able to experience 8 months of bonding and I'm hopeful that we will be able to continue until his first birthday. I know this might be random or weird to some, but I think it's worth celebrating. Breastfeeding mamas, you are awesome! Your child might not ever truly understand how much work you put into breastfeeding, but your sacrifice and act of love is so valued. I once heard someone say that "breastfeeding is a way of giving your child the best start to life" and I couldn't agree more.




No comments:

Post a Comment